Article Credit: Mike Hovde
Preparations for the new International Bridge linking Baudette and Rainy River are nearing an end.
In the past weeks and months all United States environmental analysis and documentation has been completed and bridge features such as color, shapes, railings, etc. have been finalized.
Construction plans for the bridge and approach roadways are being prepared and preliminary staging plans are to be presented at a public meeting to be held in Rainy River on October 4, 2017. That meeting will take place from 4-7 p.m.as
part of the Ontario Environmental Assessment requirements. The meeting is taking place at the Rainy River Rec Centre.
Other upcoming highlights on the bridge construction timeline include:
• November 2017: Construction plans will be completed.
• December 2017: Design and Construction Report, an Ontario Environmental Document, will be completed including a 30-day public review period.
• February 2018: A contractor will be chosen to build the project.
• Spring 2018: An open house will be held in Baudette/Rainy River to discuss construction plans and timelines.
• May 2018: Projected start of construction activities.
• Summer 2020: The new bridge is anticipated to be open for traffic.